Re: lynx-dev Now I got the error from idmb trying to get StudioBrief fro

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Now I got the error from idmb trying to get StudioBrief from cron job.. here's the message
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:38:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
> >But maybe you don't want to talk to someone at IMDB about it, since
> >you are now aware that your use of the Web site is probably something
> >they like to block or discourage.  After all you're still trying to
> >fake a User-Agent after you know that it is being used by the site to
> >detect specific clients in order to block them, AND after you should
> >have realized that it does you now good anyway.  Should people on
> >lynx-dev really try to help you??
>
> No, I was trying to _set_ a user agent string because I thought it was
> blank.

Lynx ALWAYS sends a User-Agent header.  Just normally a more truthful one.

If you didn't know that, you could have easily found out by (1) -trace, or
(2) asking here.

In any case, if you thought that lynx was NOT sending a User-Agent header,
or sending an empty one, and that you somehow had to force it - why then
use a *fake* one??  Why not at least put "Lynx" in it somewhere?

> Why does it do no good to set the user agent string?  What are you talking
> about?

Because you already knew that the sporadic problem occurred with AND without
it, and I haven't seen ANY indication from you that setting the User-Agent
string manully helped in ANY way.  And I seem to recall that you had already
agreed it had probably nothing to do with useragent.

> Yes, they should, because it seems like Lynx could very well be deficient
> in this respect, just like it is not doing the Referrer string properly,

If what you have come away with is that lynx is "not doing the
Referrer string properly", then you haven't been paying attention at all to
the messages that said that *sites* were using Referer not poperly.

> I thought it may not be doing the user agent or something else properly (in
> this specific case).

So you trust some error response from a web site so much and lynx so little?
That's kinda sad.

   Klaus