Re: lynx-dev bug report

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev bug report
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:21:42 -0400 (EDT)

> "Leonid Pauzner" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >I have no idea what lynx versions RedHat ships
> >but this problem already fixed nearly a year ago.
> >1998-10-24 (2.8.1rel.1)
>
> RedHat 5.2: 1227453 Oct 1998 lynx-2.8.1-5.src.rpm
> RedHat 6.0: 1540093 Apr 1999 lynx-2.8.1-11.src.rpm
>
> Yes, I'm a RedHat user but dislike their version scheme. WTF is 2.8.1-5 and
> 2.8.1-11? I know that -XXX is a rebuild with or without modifications by the
> RedHat developers. They make patches for some stuff but I don't know if they
> changed anything in Lynx.
>
> So, if 2.8.1rel.1 is from 19981024, what's 2.8.1-5? A pre version?
> And 2.8.1-11? If 2.8.1-5 is 2.8.1rel.1, why 2.8.1-11 have 250kb more?
> Strange.

perhaps it's 2.8.2dev.11 (which adds a chunk of diskspace for the i18n
code using gettext).  We're still discussing what fraction of that can
be discarded (e.g., the libintl.a source code), but that's likely where
it came from.  It would be nice if the rpm contained enough information
to relate it to the development version, but I've found the changelogs
to be rather sketchy (the associated patches are really the only useful
clues, but not all rpm's contain them, forcing me to do diff's).

-- 2.8.2 will configure and build if the 'intl' and 'po' directories are
   removed.  But we'd kind of like to keep the message library support
   in Lynx...

I use Slackware (stable, not too many problems).  But I think the Debian
people are doing the best (of those three) at managing external changes.
I see from a recent thread on gnu.misc.discuss (the Sargasso of .newsrc)
that some people hold the opposite opinion (based on personal grievances).

Cannot comment on SuSE because I don't read German (and as a matter of
policy don't like to buy the fancier distributions (e.g., Caldera).  But
I just got a copy of the newest InfoMagic & will see if those two have
enough info for me to try them out.  (I'm populating two 8.4G drives,
_trying_ to install Solaris7 - along with SCO which works and the other
stuff I already have).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden