Re: lynx-dev Forms Word Wrap Problem with Lynx

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Forms Word Wrap Problem with Lynx
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:08:18 -0600

On Fri, Jul 23, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:

| As an alternative, the users could be prevented from adding lines that
| are too long.  The mechanism for that is already there: for text INPUT
| fields lynx implements a MAXLENGTH attribute.  It is not recognized
| for TEXTAREA (in accordance with HTML 4.0), but if you use lynx only
| internally, modifying the source to get a version that supports it
| anyway wouldn't be difficult (or you could just hardwire some value
| in, but that sounds like a bad idea - no flixibility at all).  I don't
| know how this would interact with the external editor invocation of
| 2.8.2 though.

I do (know how doing so would interact with external editing).  Badness
would happen (generally speaking).

The external editing code (as well as the insert file code) does no
checking for edited lines that exceed MAX_LINE (which is the def used
for the HTLine structs).

Such checking *could* be added, of course, and excessively long lines
broken/truncated/ignored/rejected/whatever, but since the define for
MAX_LINE says:

  #define MAX_LINE 1024    /* Hope that no window is larger than this */
                              ^^^^

and since I didn't really see HTLines being checked elsewhere for exceeding
the MAX_LINE value, and for performance reasons, I didn't do any checking
either.

I suspect that if the defines that control various line lengths were to
be significantly reduced from their existing (very large) values, many
things in lynx would break, as well.

/kim