lynx-dev Re: 'reloading' lynx.cfg (was: options (more, please))

From: Michael Warner
Subject: lynx-dev Re: 'reloading' lynx.cfg (was: options (more, please))
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:02:26 -0700

On or about 16 Jul, 1999, Leonid Pauzner
<address@hidden> wrote:

> 16-Jul-99 06:24 Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > How well does it work now?
>
> > When I last tried it there seemed to be several problems.
> > That was around the time I changed the restrictions checking
> > (don't use LYRestricted flag directly etc.). I remember:
> >  - cookie file name got corrupted  (I found cookies were written
> >    at end of session to a file with a name of 8 arbitrary
> >    characters)
> >  - Something strange happened to colors on reloading
>
> > I planned to investigate those, but haven't done so.  Maybe
> > those were temporary problems that have disappeared since
> cookie file will not be changed with reload_read_cfg() - file name restored
> after your tweaks, now in 2.8.3devXX and 2.8.2 fixes.

        [...]

I finally got around to getting 2.8.3dev4 a few days ago, and
just tonight tried out the RELOAD - it still seems to cause the
cookie file to be written to a file whose name varies from one
invocation to the next, but always seems to end in "@^A".  The
COOKIE_FILE entry in .lynxrc also gets rewritten.

Since I know this is happening, and the real cookie file doesn't
appear to be damaged, and I (think I) know how to repair the
damage, I can still use the reload cautiously and under limited
circumstances, but I think it's an undesirable (to put it mildly)
state of affairs for the unsuspecting user.

To try this out, I built a fresh copy of lynx with the straight
defaults and a one-line lynx.cfg (MINIMAL_COMMENTS:TRUE).  Might
it still be something in my setup?  Anything else I should try?

System is: OSF1 V4.0 878 alpha, using system curses, tcsh.

Colors, howeve, are fine :)

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>