Re: lynx-dev bug report

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev bug report
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:23:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, David Woolley wrote:

> difference between development and release versions (the maintainers of
> the DOS port of Lynx don't help here by always pointing people to
> development versions on this list).  Microsoft have also blurred the

I don't know that "release" versions of the DOS port binary have
ever been generally available. Each of the distribution sites (mine,
Wayne's, Bill Schiavo's, and Rene Ludwig's) generally has only one
version available at any one time, generally the latest that seems to
work fairly well for us. I believe that the documentation generally
identifies the version (including dev if appropriate). Since the
full port to DOS has never been completed (although probably getting
close now, with DIRED, ftp, and news starting to work), I have always
considered the DOS port to be a development version, whether ported
from a release version or not.

Per suggestions on the list (I think from Klaus), I recently added
files from the test and samples directories to the distribution from
my site. Is this a serious suggestion from you that only the release
versions of the DOS binary be made available (remembering that space
limitations will generally restrict to only one version available at
a time)? What about the libraries that have to be linked to get them
to work? Are you suggesting that only the release versions (if such
exist) of PDCurses, SLang, WATTCP (or WATT-32) be used?
                                 Doug

__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)