lynx-dev Re: lynx problem (maybe ncurses problem now) (fwd)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev Re: lynx problem (maybe ncurses problem now) (fwd)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 08:49:20 -0500 (CDT)

I am forwarding the message to the lynx-dev list.  Please subscribe
to the list to continue the discussion, or at least check the archives at
<http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0799/> for responses.

I am not familiar with setting up linux for Chinese, but some comments:

1) What is the version of lynx?
   If possible, try recompiling, using the latest package from
   <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/release/> or
   <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>.

2) I checked the Chinese-HOWTO (latest version on metalab.unc.edu),
   and could not find a reference to something called "Chinese Console"
   (the closest may be a program called chdrv).  Since you say this
   program "crashes" (depending on ncurses version and the setting of
   $TERM), I wouldn't trust it at all...  There must be something better
   out there.  I cannot help you find it, but there should be other
   Chinese users who should know!

3) Both ncurses versions seem to be quite old, and have bugs -
   try to get the lastest 5.0 beta source from
   <ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/dickey/ncurses> and recompile it.
   As long as you are careful to install everything under /usr/local/
   (and maybe even if you are not), this shouldn't interfere with
   the installed slackware pkg.
   Recompile lynx to use that version (you may have to tell it
   to use ncurses from /usr/local/, see CPPFALGS and LIBS in lynx
   INSTALLATION file).

   Ok, I see now you have already tried Ncurses 4.2.  Have you
   made sure lynx is using it?

   I don't know about those problems with the kernel "make menu config";
   but you could try to hide the newer ncurses's .h and .so files (not
   .so.N...) after you got lynx compiled and running.

4) The problem of displaying chinese text wrong doesn't seem to be
   lynx's fault, since at least in some combination you get the right
   characters displayed.

5) The "screen flash" problem (I don't know what it looks like)
   is likely the "Chinese Console" program's fault, IMO (even if
   it is triggered only by using some ncurses versions).
   Again, I hope you can locate a better console environment to
   use.

6) What you have to put in $TERM would depend on the "Chinese
   Console" program.  "vt100" is probably not the Right Thing -
   at least if you want color.  SInce those programs seem to be
   terminal emulators on their own, they should come with their
   own terminfo(or termcap) entry that describes their
   capabilities.  If not, you may have to create one.
   (Using a modified terminfo file could also be a way to
   avoid the "screen flash" - maybe you can find out by trial
   and error which terminfo(5) capability causes it [if any].)

    Klaus