Re: lynx-dev Deny access for non standard browsers

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Deny access for non standard browsers
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:40:59 -0400 (EDT)

990723 Benarson Behajaina wrote to  address@hidden ,
which was forwarded by DW to the Lynx Developers' List:
> I reconfigured my Squid to deny access for non standard browers
> (GetRight, Wget, Lynx, GetSmart etc ...)
> Is it possible to reconfigure Squid,
> so that ONLY requests from Netscape and MSIE will be allowed ?
> users still use Wget or GetRight & pretend their client is Netscape/MSIE.
> how do I configure my squid to deny access for download managers
> (GetRight, Wget, Go!Zilla, etc ...)
> but squid will allow access for both Netscape and MSIE.

your approach seems very totalitarian:
Netscape has published its source code & M$ personnel use Lynx.
why would you want to exclude Lynx users?
perhaps you are misinformed about Lynx capabilities or uses
or just possibly there is an improvement Lynx volunteers could consider.
we'ld like to hear your explanation.