Re: lynx-dev Lynx info on sec.gov web page!

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx info on sec.gov web page!
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:14:39 -0500

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 02:23:33PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> But I'm curious -- why does "Please enter search keywords:" and a text
> box show up on GUI browsers?  And not on Lynx?

Historical probably.

My guess would be that index searching was implemented in lynx before forms
were invented.  So, the concept of having "a text box" on the screen wasn't
something lynx could do at the time.

If you're in novice/intermidate mode, you see:
This is a searchable index.  Use S to search.

In advanced, you see:
-index- http://www.sec.gov/edaux/waishelp.htm

And in advanced, you're expected to know what to do (at least in the days
before forms, they were a lot more common).

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all