Re: lynx-dev saving-options problem

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev saving-options problem
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:34:14 +0400 (MSD)

28-Jul-99 05:40 Philip Webb wrote:
> further to my reply to DK just now, i've discovered something bizarre.

> the key  [  makes the same change as setting `Show Images' = `ignore'
> & also changes the setting shown in the Options form!
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> this is crazy!  if there's a simple key to toggle the effect
> & there's no way to save it to disk, WHY is it in the Options list at all??

Well, you just discovered this hot key, perhaps you are not a single person in
such situation. This option (and others from "Document Layout" section) were
added to forms options menu to make things obvious: they present a STATE of
this option (hot key is only a toggle and you may easily lost an idea where
you are when press a toggle several times during the session).

As your second question (asked sevaral times by you during this thread)
certain items from options menu are NOT saved into .lynxrc intentionally,
especially those under "Document Layout" section, - they are assumed
to be changed temporarily for certain page. Defaults are kept in lynx.cfg
as described in on-line help.

Well, this is a sensitive area. Say, LYNXCFG://reload/ will save .lynxrc
automatically which may be a bad side effect if toggling layout hot heys
was made and such options are saved into .lynxrc
(From the other hand, such options are not included in OLD options menu
so it would be strange enough to save such options for those who prefer
old-style menu).