Re: lynx-dev patch that allows text inputs to be non-sticky

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch that allows text inputs to be non-sticky
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 07:14:27 +0500 (SAMST)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:

 Klaus, don't hurry!

> [...]
> > Comments:
> >
> > 1. This seems to be useful.  People have occasionally asked for it.

 I hear this first time about my patches from you :-)

> > 2. Please give this feature (and the option) a different name!
> >
> >    To me at least, "non-sticky text input" doesn't mean anything.
> >    I had no idea what the patch was about from reading your message's
> >    subject line.
> >
> >    better: "non-sticky text input *fields*"
> >    still better: something that avoids "sticky" altogether.  Not sure
> >    what, but "FLY_OVER_INPUT_FILEDS:YES" or "AUTO_ENTER_INPUT_FIELDS:NO"
> >    or "AUTO_LINEEDIT_INPUT_FIELDS:NO" seem preferable to me, maybe someone
> >    else has a better idea.
>
>  We can vote for reasonable name for this functionality (I don't care what
> the name would be). I like the following:
> AUTO_ENTER_TEXTINPUTS
> STICKY_TEXTINPUTS

 Do you suggest the default value different from current lynx behaviour (you
suggest FOO1:NO, FOO2:NO, FOO3:YES - ie with default values)?

>[...]
>  Keeping state in 'textarea_drawn' is necessary for the following reason:
> the highlighted text input must be highlighted once,
> after that any keystrokes should be interpreted as usual lynx keystrokes, not
> textinput keystrokes.
>  This can be achieved with help of 'textarea_drawn':
>    when it's off, the textinput is drawn (and it becomes ON)
>    when it's on, entire condition
>
>              /*
>               *  Normal, non-traversal handling.
>               */
>              if (nlinks > 0 &&
>                  links[curdoc.link].type == WWW_FORM_LINK_TYPE &&
>   must be false in order the flow of control to be passed to the 'else' of
> that condition (or 'else' part should be replaced by 'if not-handled'
> operator, this will also require introducing some variable, but it can be
> local).

  The second variant is impossible with local or static variable, see below.

>[...]
>
> PS: I'll rename global variables, and remove 'textarea_drawn' completely (as I
> explained above), hold on for 2 hours, but Klaus, please reply ASAP (or new
> version of the patch will be released before I see you reply).

 Klaus, don't hurry, I analysed the situation and decided that the alternative
variant won't work (there should be variable that holds the state of the
textarea - whether it's not/drawn). So, all I can change is varable names. I
leave this to Tom - IMO the plain sed script

sed -e 's|textarea_|textinput_|g' applied to the patch itself will do the
trick.
 So, seems that I consider this patch to be released.

>  Best regards,
>   -Vlad

 Best regards,
  -Vlad