Re: lynx-dev saving-options problem : why

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev saving-options problem : why
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 13:57:00 +0400 (MSD)

29-Jul-99 04:32 Philip Webb wrote:
> but your approach hardly made things clearer to the uneducated user.
> the Options Form is not intended to tell users the state of key toggles,
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ why not? who will?
> but to allow changes to listed options for the session or in  .lynxrc .

>> certain items from options menu are NOT saved into .lynxrc intentionally,
>> especially those under "Document Layout" section,
>> they are assumed to be changed temporarily for certain page.
>> Defaults are kept in  lynx.cfg , as described in on-line help.

> why would anyone assume such changes are only temporary?
> i use Lynx primarily to read the Canadian/international news daily
> & my options & key toggles reflect various sites, eg FT or Wash'n Post,
> which are predictable day-day & usually for months at a time.
> users don't have to save to disk, if they don't want to,
> so yours is not an adequate reason to deny that choice to those who do.
You are free to change your lynx.cfg as you want,
I am not surprized you lost the staff below.

Go to "check your lynx.cfg" from Options menu -
you will find a nice page (well, "RELOAD THE CHANGES" only enabled for
Advanced user).

>> this is a sensitive area.  LYNXCFG://reload/
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what's that?
>> will save  .lynxrc  automatically, which may be a bad side effect
>> if toggling layout hotkeys was made & such options are saved into .lynxrc

> pending your explanation of the above, i can only comment generally
> that it seems dangerous to have  .lynxrc  saved automatically ever.
perhaps, but when you intentionally change your lynx.cfg
seems you agree with your current options menu status
(otherwise you lost your active but unsaved options menu changes,
if you have ones). Any ideas?

>> From the other hand, such options are not included in OLD options menu,
>> so it would be strange to save such options for those who prefer old-style.

> that makes no sense (if i understand):
> old-stylers can't save them, as they're not in the Options Menu,
> but that shouldn't stop us new-stylers saving them in the Options Form.
Option menu saves .lynxrc via save_rc() call which is the same for both menu
styles. Adding a logic to behave differently seem unnecessary complication and
will increase confusion when someone switch from forms menu to old style menu.