Re: Lynx test cases [Was: Re: lynx-dev non-sticky text inputs

From: Heather
Subject: Re: Lynx test cases [Was: Re: lynx-dev non-sticky text inputs
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:27:03 -0700 (PDT)

> I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to create a place on the WWW
> where a variety of pages demonstrating good HTML coding practices that
> lynx's existing features exploit, as well as having a place to add new
> HTML test cases for working out bugs, new features during development, etc.

I'm for it, I'm in.  (HTML coding, now *that* I can do.  It's much easier
for me to do in small chunks too.)

Let's create some stylish pages fro Example.Com :)  and encourage folk to
use them as templates.

Certain popular features, it's always hotly argued whether they're "good
coding practice" or not.  Frames for instance... but, of course, lynx
does frames better than most, in my opinion!  (Ours would of course have
helpful noframes stuff.  For example, see http://www.lasfs.org/loscon26/)

Heck, I'll even surf the javascript forums and see if I can find some
scripts which do All Those Popular Things (first on my list are forms
validation, and "rollover" scripts) with the following requirements
        1) it will not break lynx when set up right.
        2) it will not be reported to break js clients - I don't have a
           Mac, so I can only test with Linux and Windows flavors, but
           js users have chat forums, so I can avoid stuff that they
           rag on.
        3) it will be able to be as freely copied as our examples will be.

We can probably check out a lot of claimed features at BrowserCaps.
Anybody want to point me a few samples of sites that could stand to be
redone in lynx-clean fashion?  Hey, what are we gonna call the page
so people can chat about it?  How about "LynxCaps" -- I want to hear/
read people talk about "yeah, surf over to LynxCaps and grab their
sidebar page, there's a great start"

I suppose each beautiful page should have a hotlink to a screenshot of
what it looks like in lynx (version specified).  I know there are eyeball
validators (er, that is, go there and type in a URL, it will run it by
lynx and show you what it looks like right away) but they wouldn't be
using dev versions of lynx, I think, and may lose the power of color
when that would be good to show.

For getting the word out, we could offer reciprocal links to lynx-clean
sites that mention it :)

What are we gonna do if people start offering donations, or someone wants
to sell us ad banners 'cuz we're so glitzy? :D

* Heather