Re: lynx-dev Re: Slang - ncurses - TeraTerm

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Slang - ncurses - TeraTerm
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:56:32 -0400 (EDT)

> On or about 26 Jul, 1999, T.E.Dickey
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>       [...]
>
> > Teraterm is in the class (roughly half of all color terminals) that John
> > Davis has shunned for several years.  If you clear the display, the current
> > colors are not used to set the background color.
>
> OK, now I get it.  Before I went to a straight black background,
> I always tweaked TeraTerm's background to match the slang color,
> else it did, indeed, look pretty sloppy.

yes (if you were "here", I could show you exactly what I mean - but I think
you've got the idea now).  With library and terminfo that work, TeraTerm
seems to work fine (I was using it a few weeks ago when I was stuck in
an off-site course, to read news here).

> I'll (try to) clarify:  Lynx isn't trying to read from the pipe,
> as I understand it.  I mapped a key in mutt to:
>
> "|${HOME}/bin/scripts/mail2html\n"
>
> which sends the current email to the mail2html script:
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/tcsh
> formail -I "" $1 | ${HOME}/bin/scripts/txt2html.pl --mail >
> /tmp/warner/mutt-tmp.html
> ${HOME}/bin/lynx -blink -nopause -preparsed /tmp/warner/mutt-tmp.html
> rm /tmp/warner/mutt-tmp.html
>
> which strips mail headers, passes to a perl script that turns
> URL's to anchors, and writes the result to a tmp file.  *Then*
> lynx is started with the tmp file as its startfile.  I guess the
> original pipe from mutt stays open until the mail2html script
> finishes, but lynx isn't reading from it, right?

That sounds right.  Perhaps you can do this (force lynx to read from /dev/tty):

  #!/usr/local/bin/tcsh
  formail -I "" $1 | ${HOME}/bin/scripts/txt2html.pl --mail >
/tmp/warner/mutt-tmp.html
  ${HOME}/bin/lynx -blink -nopause -preparsed /tmp/warner/mutt-tmp.html
</dev/tty
  rm /tmp/warner/mutt-tmp.html

That's because curses reads from stdin and writes to stdout (standards are
useful).  I guess slang doesn't follow that standard, if it "works" in that
case.  The shell script's stdin is passed down to subprocesses, but you can
override any of them.

-- But why didn't you use the -dump option?  (You'll still get a lot of escape
   sequences written as part of the output screen, otherwise).

> > Lynx would have to read the pipe data (and do whatever it needs to),
> > then reopen stdin from /dev/tty (or the equivalent on DOS or VMS).
> > It could be done with curses by doing this before initializing curses.
>
> Question 1 - Does (all or part of) this still apply in light of the above?
> Question 2 - You're talking lynx source code changes, right?
>              (If so, it's beyond my scope, I'm afraid)

shell scripting should work for this case - I had thought you were referring
to some case like

        cat foo |lynx .

where "foo" contains commands.

--