Re: lynx-dev hyphenation

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev hyphenation
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 23:23:50 +0500 (SAMST)

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Lloyd G. Rasmussen wrote:

> I know no one has coded anything yet for hyphenation.  Please keep the
> following in mind:
>
> Hyphenated words are more frequently mispronounced by speech synthesizers.
> If you're going to add this functionality, I think it might be more useful,
> because more time-consuming, if invoked only for the print-to-file option
> and not for interactive rendering.

 I don't think it will be so time consuming (only the last word on the line
effectively need to be hyphenated), and the libhnj library hyphenates 40.000
words per second on P100. IMO most connections are slower than this amount
(and IMO lynx uses not very clever and not optimal algorithms when
rendering, so delays on hyphenation will effectively be very small).
 And IMO it will be configurable (user will be able to switch it off).

 The most disadvantage of viewing hyphenated texts is that it will make
searching for string unreliable (the word being searched can be hyphenated
and thus won't be found).

> Remember that you don't want hyphenation to be active when saving source
> files.  I have seen some web pages which were broken because they went
> through a word processor which broke some lines (including long URLs) at a
> hyphen.

 Of course. But seems that URLs in rendered output will be the most sensitive
thing - they are composed of words written without spaces - I can't imagine
how they will look like.

>[...]

 Best regards,
  -Vlad