Re: lynx-dev hyphenation

From: Heather
Subject: Re: lynx-dev hyphenation
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:35:17 -0700 (PDT)

> On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Lloyd G. Rasmussen wrote:
Vlad> > Remember that you don't want hyphenation to be active when saving
    > > source files.  I have seen some web pages which were broken because
    > > they went through a word processor which broke some lines (including
    > > long URLs) at a hyphen.

Lloyd > Of course. But seems that URLs in rendered output will be the most
      > sensitive thing - they are composed of words written without spaces
      > - I can't imagine how they will look like.

When Jim sends his answerguy replies and they must contain URLs, he breaks
them at found / or ? and ends the line with a space and then \
        The space being, so there's no chance of confuisng the \ into the
        URL, plus it's easy to read.

Most people seem to recognize this as line continuance for code, especially
since the rest of the URL is on the next line.  Or at least, no complaints
yet on that particular grammar item, and he's been doing this column for
years.  Of course we haven't gotten any URLs where a whole fragment (directory
name for example) was too long for a whole line, either.

Example, here's a map to 100 Main Street in the nearby city (from =):

Notice that lynx broke it at the & between items, a very reasonable place.
In Jim's writing he would list:

...so you want to go there. Maybe a map would help:
          http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=100+Main+Street&; \
                csz=San+Jose%2C+CA&Get+Map=Get+Map

That's the closest I've seen to anyone attempting to "hyphenate" URLs
recently.  A dash is such a normal URL character I'd never be certain if
a hyphen at the end of a line was a legit part of the URL or not, I'd have
to try both ways in my browser, and hope I get lucky (maybe even hope that
both forms don't exist on this server!)

Um anyways, if you want to test against some pages with long URLs, his
columns in the Linux Gazette (http://www.linuxgazette.com) have them
occasionally.  I always restore them to their long form before publication.
If you want a specific one, I can hunt through the old mail folders for one
that had to get split, then advise you the URL of the web-published version.

* Heather