Re: lynx-dev non-bug in non-comments (was bug in comments process)

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev non-bug in non-comments (was bug in comments process)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 15:43:28 +0500 (SAMST)

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

>[...]
> It is violating the specs, it is broken.  I don't know why you want to
> call that wise.  I call lynx wiser for following the specs here.
> No, I don't know what IE does, it doesn't really matter.  How often
> do you see pages that are broken in this way?  I don't think one page
> is enough for breaking parsing, just to be "compatible".
>
> Since you are speculating, let me speculate, too:  IE does not do the
> same, and that's the reason why we don't see these errors more often;
> and when we see them, it's a quite reliable warning "you are entering
> a site on which many and various things are broken".

  So, did you try it with IE or not?

> Actually, I think they do it on purpose, they're some kind of comedians
> after all...  Together with the link that just says "Click Here", but
> when I actually tried to follow the link, I was directed to load more
> than 8KB of scripts, pictures, and whatnot in a file labeled as text/plain,
> which, when finally decoded, yielded the all-important message (one line):

>      inconvenience.
>
> It's a bit too obvious, nobody can manage to screw a page up so much
> just by accident, right? ...

 I hope you are right. But there are much more easier ways to screw up the
page...
 IMO strictly speaking, this can depend on the HTML DTD version...
 Seems consultation with David Woodley is required.

>[...]

> Then we also need to place immediately after that 'undoing the "fix" when
> the next version of a Netscape browser comes out and has correct handling
> of comment-lookalikes in <script>'.

>[...]

 Let it be what you say - less TODO items... I'll fix psrc mode soon.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad