Re: lynx-dev Command-line options and DOS [patch]

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Command-line options and DOS [patch]
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 11:33:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> Depends on how you define "adverse impact", I suppose, but ...
>
> Many UNIX utilities (particularly gnu stuff) use the --option=value
> syntax, whereas nothing that I'm aware of uses a ":" as a separator
> for such cmd line args.
>
> To avoid a confusing exception to common existing usage/syntax, I'd
> really prefer to see the ":" alternate ifdef'd for DOS, and not used
> in UNIX builds.

Just to clarify - I proposed adding the ":" separator as an additional
acceptable syntax form. All previous forms (e.g. --option=value) would
still be valid. I saw a problem arising if an option value were to
contain a ":" (e.g. -color:5=blue:white if such an option were ever
proposed). I thought it might be less confusing to keep ":" for all
platforms since many users switch back and forth between DOS and unix
versions of lynx.
                                Doug
__
Doug Kaufman