Re: lynx-dev Speech capable browser on UK ISP (was: Can you help)

From: Gene Collins
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Speech capable browser on UK ISP (was: Can you help)
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 14:36:14 -0400

The Reason most blind folks prefer to run Lynx under DOS or Win95, is
that in the past, that's where most of the screen reading packages were
being developed, and you are right, most blind folks aren't knowledgable
enough to setup and administer their own Linux system.  That dosn't mean
we can't, just that the learning curve can be a bit steep.  But for
those who might be interested, I'm writing this on a Linux system using
a speech package that is still in the Alpha stage of development called
Speakup.  It is a patch to the Kernel and gives full access to the text
based system console devices.

If you are interested, send me private email and I'll respond with
particulars of where to get the software, and how to join the Speakup
mailing list.

Speaking of lists, Doug, do you have info on how to subscribe to
blind-l?

Thanks,
Gene Collins (address@hidden)