lynx-dev Centering in Tables

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: lynx-dev Centering in Tables
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 00:51:19 -0400

I have a question for those who know the ins and outs of HTML regarding
lynx's determination of when to center.  It seems to me that if there
is an "ALIGN=CENTER" attribute in a <TABLE> element, this refers to the
placement of the table itself rather than the text within the table, if
I'm reading the specification correctly.  An ALIGN attribute in a <TD>
element, however, would refer to the text in a cell, and an ALIGN attribute
in a TR would provide a default alignment for all cells in a row that
don't specify the alignment explicitly.  If there is no ALIGN attribute in
either the <TR> or <TD> elements for a cell, it should default to left
(or possibly a default that was specified outside of the table - I'm
unclear on this).  It should under no circumstance default to what was
specified in the <TABLE> element, because that refers to the table itself.
Am I correct?  If so, lynx is doing it wrong.  Comments?

Chuck