Re: lynx-dev When I tell a Webmaster about Lynx ...pointers?

From: James Elkinton
Subject: Re: lynx-dev When I tell a Webmaster about Lynx ...pointers?
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:24:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Heather wrote:

> > I use Lynx via Netcom's shell account (2.8.1 as of today); not a
> > developer or programmer.

> 'bout time they upgraded... or you're using the NUGLOPS version,
> perhaps. (Last time I was on netcom, they were two years behind on
> the Lynx version, maybe longer.)

Last I saw of them, the system copy was 2.4.2 just before 2.7 was
final revision.  Is NUGLOPS still as active as then?  It's the thing I
miss the most from there.

GREAT information, Heather... extra ammo for the already-enlightened
here to make sure the others get with it too. :)

One thing I was asked recently though, and lost the bits I had saved
the info on, was good utilization of calling external programs.  I
have not yet personally done this since all my Lynx access was by
telnet to Unix accounts.  Having gotten the Lynx 2.8.1 rel1 and
2.8.2pre6(H.S.) programs spread around to all the PC's here, everyone
is curious if they can successfully get a number of desired external
programs to launch as automatically as NS and IE plugins.

The most requested are music modules (typically played with modplug,
the aim is to send them to the standalone player) and realaudio (for which
I see an implementation idea in helper.txt... I wonder...is that the
best way for all external calls, or are there other good ways?) Also,
the plan is to have a link to the file itself, but is there support (or
planned support) for the EMBED way?