Re: lynx-dev Alert!: Unable to access document

From: Heather
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Alert!: Unable to access document
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 12:43:51 -0700 (PDT)

> Excuse me for missing subject in last posting!
> I get the message in subject also when I ask remote
> wellknown sites, and not only local.
> I forgot to say that I'm running also wwwoffle
> proxy (with both ftp and http server)
> Thanks to all
> Leonardo

Ahhhh.  So my last question, regarding the proxy, was the right path.

I don't use wwwoffle, but I do use squid.  In order for me to use my squid
proxy here, I need to set an environment variable:

        http_proxy=http://betelgeuse.starshine.org:3182/

The slash on the end is important.  The fact that the environment variable
name is in lowercase is important too.  Your port number may be different.

If something akin to this works for you, then you will also want to set
ftp_proxy and possibly gopher_proxy as well.

Once you're using the proxy properly, it will probably always answer, even
for bogus addresses, with some nicely formatted message from the proxy server.

* Heather