Re: lynx-dev short_url option

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev short_url option
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 18:51:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> 990804  address@hidden  wrote:
> > Short_url became more useful!  Furthermore...
> > This cuts off directories at the middle of it, and replaces to "/.../",
> > like this:
> >     http://www.foo.com/bar/very_long_string/index.html
> >     http://www.foo.com/bar/very/.../index.html
> > Since "/" is the true path separator, this is still confusing
> > with real "/very/", though real "/.../" is very unlikely.  In
> > the case above, it is little better to remove a whole of
> > "very_long_string".
> >
> > How about another patch?  This is made for the original
> > lynx2.8.3dev.5.  I know the problem here, this strips off
> > more information from URLs.  Any comment?
> -- patch snipped --
>
> as mainly an observer of this thread,
> i'ld say replacing  whatever_is_omitted  by 3 dots  ...  just like that
> is least likely to confuse anyone: don't add extra slashes ( / ).

That's what I meant, Eduardo seems to have understood it differently.
It may be my mistake for not being clear enough.

What I meant with "/.../" is not that lynx should make up another
slash, but (if possible) should try to omitt whole path segments,
so that the despayed string ends up having "/.../" instead of
"/whatever/was/omitted/".

It seems the patch from <address@hidden> tries to do just that
(I have not tested it).

   Klaus