lynx-dev patches on this list (was When I tell a Webmaster...)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev patches on this list (was When I tell a Webmaster...)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 22:55:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 address@hidden wrote:
> >(Could we convince a digest to strip the patches? Hmm...)
>
> Would people be willing to fetch patches from an archive if _all_ MIME
> attachments were stripped and archived as the mail goes through the MLM?

(1) I object to that sort of change, if you were talking about lynx-dev.
    If you want to go THIS far, for the benefit of non-"Dev" readers, in
    changing the original character of the list, from a Developers' list
    that tolerates/welcomes users into something else, then make a new
    list instead.

(2) Most diffs don't come in the form of MIME attachments anyway.

(3) Messing around with the content of messages by stripping arbitrary
    parts is not something an unmoderated public mailing list should be
    doing.  Certainly not this one.  It's an all-around Bad Idea.
    (I also think it is not easily possible to do this automatically with
    the "usual" maiing list tools.  In fact, I hope so.)

(4) *Really big* patches are often already kept on Web sites instead of
    sent through the list.  The volume and frequency of the remaining
    ones isn't high when compared to all the other messages.

   Klaus