Re: lynx-dev lynxcgi and lynxexec problems

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynxcgi and lynxexec problems
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:32:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Paul Slootman wrote:

> I'm new to this list, however, I couldn't find any answer to my problem
> in the list archives so that shouldn't matter...

Thanks for subscribing...

> Anyway, my problem is this: I'm trying to build a sort of sysadmin menu
> with lynx. This basically works pretty well (e.g. a typical menu choice
> is "show printer queue" or "cancel a printer job", which are handled by
> lynxcgi: URLs).
>
> However, I can't get one thing to work, namely: calling a lynxexec: URL
> from a page generated by a lynxcgi: URL.  The identical link works fine
> from a .html file, but not if the exact same HTML is generated by a
> lynxcgi script.

I happen to have already seen your Debian bug report at
<http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/42/42494.html>.  Unfortunately you don't
honor us here with the same level of detail.

> My experimentation has shown that it apparently *does* work when I use
> lynx 2.8.1, but doesn't in 2.8.2.  I'd assume that I need to add some
> sort of option in the lynx.cfg file, but I'm afraid I can't really
> figure out what. IMHO the docs for TRUSTED_EXEC et.al. aren't that clear
> (I could only find any info on those in the example lynx.cfg file
> itself, are they explained anywhere else?)  E.g. what is the
> significance of the <tab> (I assume an explicit tab is meant here :)
> in the TRUSTED_EXEC option?

The first thing you should do is look at the lynx.cfg from the current
unstable (dev.N) lynx code.  See <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>.
If you just want to look at one file, you can find it by going into
the "breakout" subdirectory from there, if you don't want to download
the source.

There have been some (small) wording changes and rearrangements, I hope
they make the description somewhat clearer.  The description should still
apply to the 2.8.2 code as well as to the current 2.8.3dev.N.  If it
still isn't understandable, ask again please.

Trust me, you want to understand the way lynxexec: etc. are controlled
with TRUSTED_EXEC before you build something with it.

Your example (which you gave in the Debian bug report) should NOT work
as given, neither with 2.8.2 nor with 2.8.1.  In fact, I tested it with
the Debian 2.8.1-3 and confirmed that it did not work (as expected).
You must have done something differently.

Basically, it's not supposed to work because "lynxcgi:/tmp/x.cgi" is
not recognized as equivalent to "local".  But you can change that (and
we're back to reading the lynx.cfg description).

   Klaus