Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.5

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.5
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 17:05:45 +0500 (SAMST)

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > * enhanced read-progress logic (Ilya Zakharevich)
> >   a) makes size/transfer rate reports use format "8.3 KB" (instead
> >      of "8 KB") if numbers are below 10 KB and reports are in KB;
> >   b) makes transferred/expected/transfer-rate use bytes/KB independently
> >      so "236 bytes of 56 KB" is possible, as is
> >      "8.3 of 56 KB, 456 bytes/sec";
> >   c) adds "ETA 23 sec" info if available;
> >   d) adds " (stalled for 75 sec)" info if available (updated each 5
> >      sec or so);
> >   e) uses gettimeofday() if present (instead of current hacks) to get more
> >      frequent updates.
>
> Was it really necessary to put this in?  I've stated this before, but
> it seems to me _de_enhancement of frivolous features is _enhancement_
> of Lynx.  I've ^G'ed out long before I read "(stalled for 600 sec)" or
> "2 bytes/sec".  I think all of us carry a few (some people a lot of)
> personal hacks which we don't force on others.

 Feel free not to specify '--enable-read-eta' to the 'configure' to disable
this. May be such option is useless for you (most probably sitting on T1 or
better) but can be useful for others.

 Henry, as for lynx-hacks you produce and collect - where are they gathered
(URL) - seems it will be useful if you announce each your hack here even if
you don't post it. Is there a link to your 'hacks' directory from Lynxlinks?
If not, this dir could be added to Lynxlinks.

As I remember, all your hacks reside in ftp directory, so one has to download
the patch to figure out what the patch does. Am I right?

> __Henry

 Best regards,
  -Vlad