Re: lynx-dev User Agent

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev User Agent
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 10:27:33 +0100 (BST)

> Do you know how I can change  my USER AGENT for the LYNX browser?

Why do you want to do it?

Doing so is always detrimental to Lynx as it means that it makes access
statistics indicate that Lynx is not being used and also just the
capability gives Lynx a reputation for being associated with fraudulent
accesses.

Some sites screen out browsers because of abuses by those browsers - in
particular changing the User Agent when using Lynx in crawl mode, or for
automated fetching, may well constitute theft of service.

Most site accessibility problems are not the result of discrimination
against Lynx, but of the use of SSL or of the use of frames, images
or scripting without adequate fall back - the "please upgrade" message
often seen is normally the result of providing an inappropriate no frames
fallback and is really no worse than the alternative of providing none
at all, as, in both cases, Lynx can work around the problem in exactly
the same way.