Re: lynx-dev MacLynx Development

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev MacLynx Development
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:23:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Scott Lahteine wrote:
>>Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
>>
>>if/when you do - bear in mind that it's still a couple of years old.  it
>>would be nice to make a newer port.  (I'm interested in helping to merge
>>the changes for MacLynx to the current 2.8.3dev.* series).
>
>That's the spirit! I've just been in touch with the author of the Mac's BSD
>sockets API (GUSI) and I will be using his latest code to get the MacLynx
>beta 1 build to compile and run again. (Lots of changes to Mac APIs in the
>past two years!)
>
>Once I get this up and running I'll probably need to solicit help to
>incorporate the 2.8.3dev changes without breaking the existing interfaces.
>It's nice to have your support... Thanks!

When you get the existing code up and running, I have a suggestion --
Carbonize it.. That way, it'll be able to be run on Mac OS X with a
recompilation.  You'll just need to change which headers you're compiling with
and then _probably_ replace a lot of casting and data structure access with
accessor functions.

I make no promises, but if you're not willing to do this, I might be willing
to get a couple of sources and Carbonize them (but only doing the manual
work to get 'em to compile, not extensive testing).

Anyway, contact me after you've gotten the current source up and running if
you want a little bit of help..   I should probably just compile the CLI
Lynx on this machine (I'm typing in Terminal right now), but having a
_little_ bit of GUI plastered on top of it isn't too bad.