lynx-dev Re: sendmail question

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev Re: sendmail question
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 19:54:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> i have a question regarding sendmail used with lynx.  when sending
> mail through "mailto:"; in lynx, a script takes me through filling
> in the email address and subject of the message.
>
> my question is "how does lynx implement the subject line into the
> email message sent?"

In the way that is required by the sendmail invocation.  For UNIX-like
systems sendmail is normally invoked as '/path/to/sendmail -t -oi',
so lynx feeds a message including headers to sendmail on standard
input.  For other operating systems it may be different.

Your question seems to be really about sendmail, not about lynx.

> i have tried using sendmail (not its own without lynx) using the
> "-s" switch to send a subject line with an email message but
> i can't get the subject line to be displayed in the received mail.

My sendmail doesn't seem to know about an '-s' switch, according to
the man page.

> does lynx do something special with the subject line to make it work
> with sendmail?

Nothing more special than other programs that send mail by invoking
sendmail in the same way.  At least for UNIX.  You didn't say what
OS you are using, or what exactly the problem is (if any).

    Klaus