Re: lynx-dev mail with lynx

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev mail with lynx
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 07:25:01 +0100 (BST)

> "---Executing: shownonascii
> This message contains non-ASCII text, which can only be displayed
> properly if you are running X11. What follows
> may be partially unreadable, but the English (ASCII) parts"
>
> Is it possible to send regular text as plain text and not as mime attachments?

This is not the result of an attachment; it is the result of declaring
a character set other than ASCII, or the character set that you told
metamail that your terminal used, for the main body of the mail.
Current GUI mail products will do the same.  Ideally the mail user agent
should pre-scan the message for non-ASCII characters, but most don't
and people often use them without knowing - in the PC world, ASCII is
almost universally mis-used to mean the local 8 bit character set.

Version 2.7.2 of Lynx doesn't add any MIME headers onto mail, so,
accepting this is no longer a current version, I have to wonder whether
you have actually sent a non-ASCII character, and sendmail has relabelled
the mail as being in the unknown-8-bit character set, as a result.

It is possible that Lynx is now sending MIME headers based on your
character set settings.  However, I repeat that it does not send
attachments.