Re: lynx-dev Re: LinuxApps: Lynx

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: LinuxApps: Lynx
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 21:29:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 14, 1999 at 04:50:25PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> > 990814 Matthew Tebbens wrote:
> > > Lynx Developers, You are the primary contact for the application below.
> > > The application has been updated and is now displayed
> > > on the LinuxApps web site, http://www.linuxapps.com/
> > it's good to see it there, but the version listed is 2-8-3dev.5 ,
>
> Drilling into the above site, I found FTP listings for Lynx binaries,
> which are also not the latest "stable" release. Is it worth listing the
> following as places where pre-built binaries are?

No.

We don't know what is required to run them (libc.so version, other runtime
libraries).

Debian package - obviously not updated, the Debian distribution already
contains far more recent packages.

Redhat packages - the version numbers are 2.8.3-<n>, it's some dev.N but
      we don't know which, only that it is not the latest;
   we don't know (without looking inside) who built them and with what
      options;
   typical linux machines that would use those packages have a compiler
      installed anyway and users can compile from source without problems
      and with a better chance to configure it as they want;
   if you are thinking of ordinary users without privileges on multiuser
      machines, they cannot install .rpms (or .debs) easily anyway (it's
      not just like a binary .tar.gz);
   it's dev., they *should* compile so we can find errors in the
      installation procedures.

>    Debian: ftp://ftp.freshmeat.net/pub/debs/lynx/
>    Redhat: ftp://ftp.freshmeat.net/pub/freshmeat/rpms/lynx/
>
> (Debian binary has 01-Jun-1998 date :-(, while redhat has 11-Jun-1999
> for lynx, and 24-Jun-1999 for lynx-ssl.)

    Klaus