Re: lynx-dev http download stops early (was: excuse me)

From: Heather
Subject: Re: lynx-dev http download stops early (was: excuse me)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 10:18:08 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi all
>
> I listened to the list for a whole, and I think this question may be
> an interrupt to discussions. So I apologize now
>
> The question:
>
> I try to download a 1 Mbytes file that can be access only
> with HTTP. protocol by lynx, but each time it stops on 68456 byte.

Hmm, just a little bit over 64 k.

> Do you have any idea?
> Thanks
> R.-M. Farrahi

Since it seems to be consistent for you, you could try running it under
debugging (in Linux, strace or ltrace; in FreeBSD, ktrace; I'm not sure
what OS nor which lynx version you're using).

Are you sure that it actually stops, or perhaps it is slowed/stalled for
an annoyingly long time?  It is possible it could be network problems,
which lynx would have no control over.  (If you have it available,
traceroute can sometimes pinpoint sticky routes.  If you have ping
available, use its verbose mode and watch the return times.  An occasional
odd one out is ok, but the speeds should be a spottable average even to
human eyeballs.  If it's very erratic then the networking is part of your
trouble.)

Since you now know its URL, you could run
        lynx -dump -source http://whatever/it/is.ext > local.filename.ext

(fill in with the correct URL and filename of course)  If for whatever
reason the repaint is stretching the problem, this non-interactive mode
should merely fetch the item.

If you've the power to compile your own you could try one of the dev
versions with the download calculation feature.  I don't think it would
improve your chances but it might help you see what's really happening
speedwise.  (Is it "bursty" or just dropped off entirely?)

Without knowing your platform or lynx rev I can't really suggest further.
Good luck.

* Heather