RE: lynx-dev lynx problem "metamail"

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: RE: lynx-dev lynx problem "metamail"
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 06:06:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Jason Mellblom wrote:

> well i figured out that the problem is that lynx for some reason wants to
> use the ~/tmp directory. once i created a tmp directory in my home dir (~),
> it didnt give me that problem anymore :) :)
> Hope this helps!
> Apparently its only a problem w/ mandrake 6.0????? even though other distros
> still dont have a ~/tmp directory...weird.

They configured it differently at compile time.  That's a reasonable
choice - there are reasons for and against it.  What's not so
reasonable is that they did this without either making sure in some
way that the directory exists (not so easy but possible - e.g. with a
wrapper script), or making it clear to users that they have to create
the directory (at a minimum, they could have changed the error message
text).  So, as a mandrake user, you should complain to them about
this.

See also the lynx man page for LYNX_TEMP_SPACE and TMPDIR.

    Klaus