Re: lynx-dev Patch for "stopping when viewing a site" hang

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Patch for "stopping when viewing a site" hang
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:18:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > > Another complicating factor is that if you had
> > > "0x5c U+00a5" (gives me a true yen sign on a Japanese Windows machine)
> > > instead of "U+00a5:YEN" in def7_uni.tbl you wouldn't be aware of the
> > > problem either (alt="¥").
>
> Why is this?

The problem only gets triggered when the first translation attempt
(UCTransUniChar, which looks up only entries of the first form) fails.
In that case, the second attempt (UCTransUniCharStr, which lloks up
entries of the second form) does not happen.  Any characters in
ALT (whether given as raw bytes or entities) that translate to one
display character via the first form would not trigger the problem.

> > 0x5c is '\' (backslash), does that mean Japanese Windows machines
> > cannot display a backslash but show a yen sign instead???
>
> Right, though you may have to qualify "cannot" to "cannot without
> changing the default settings."  Even in this mail, I don't see a
> backslash, I see a '=' imposed on a 'Y' (TeraTerm running on J-Win98).

Seems pretty broken... there should be a way to show a backslash
for a backslash!

   Klaus