Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx.cfg bloat (was various fixes)

From: Scott Lahteine
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx.cfg bloat (was various fixes)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:44:39 -0400

> I suspect that this might be difficult to do across all the platforms
> that support lynx, and that even if done, there would be little
> assurance that such an interface would be maintained in the long term.
> Would this mean that for each change in available lynx options someone
> would also have to update the interface program?

If a global change were inevitable at some point in the future - say the
year 2525 - it would not be unreasonable that a .cfg file could define both
the interface and the settings in an elegant manner (perhaps by including
generic types).

As an aside, it seems to me that the *nix community is bound to never create
its own file standards, and to forever rely on archaic "self-documenting"
methods. Perhaps that will change once the sun sets on this generation...
perhaps not. A standardization of "resource wrappers" would not be
unwelcome.

           Scott Lahteine    mailto:address@hidden
               "No Universe is perfect which
               leaves no room for improvement."