Re: lynx-dev User Agent

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev User Agent
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:44:11 -0600

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999, John Hawkinson (address@hidden) said:

| Continuing somewhat of an old thread; today I noticed that
| www.movielink.com (aka www.moviefone.com) seems to give lynx a 0-line
| text/html page, whereas changing the user-agent fixes that.

What string did you end up using ...?

Actually, does anyone have a list of candidate strings to try when
trying to access a recalcitrant site?

I've been trying to access  <http://www.850koa.com/>  and/or
<http://www.koaradio.com/>  for awhile now, but haven't hit on
a User Agent string that works.  Suggestions ...?

| What would folks think of a feature that allowed one to associated
| a user-agent name with a particular web-site, so that one could
| more easily access recalcitrant web sites without annoying
| manual configuration?

Actually, I was thinking about something along those lines, but a bit
more generalized, so that one could "tune" lynx on a site-by-site
basis (User Agent, TagSoup/SortaSGML, etc).

/kim