Re: lynx-dev <BASE> added to files when downloading

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev <BASE> added to files when downloading
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 03:28:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> Lynx adds two extra lines when downloading a file. e.g.
>
> <!-- X-URL: http://www-rks/rks/info/kursinfo.htm -->
> <BASE HREF="http://www-rks/rks/info/kursinfo.htm";>
>
> The problem is that the host name is not fully qualified,

*That* is your problem - if you had accessed the site with a globally
valid URL, lynx would have saved it with that URL.

> and the syntax is
> illegal ( a <BASE> element may only appear insoide a header).

Yes, it's invalid, it just happens to work...   That is why there
are options to turn it off.  It has bothered me too when this was
first introduced, but it is the best we have.  Trying to insert this
into a valid place would be very tricky.  Lynx would have to parse the
incoming data, instead of just treating them as an unstructured byte
stream as it does now (and always has done for 'd'ownloading).

   Klaus