lynx-dev Bug in the configure script (with tentative patch)

From: Yury Burkatovsky
Subject: lynx-dev Bug in the configure script (with tentative patch)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:22:44 +0300 (IDT)

Hello lynxers,

I have been running configure on my HP-UX 10.20 machine with no success
since 2.8.3dev6 was issued.

Previously I built lynx with slightly different set of options, and that
was ok. Now I am trying the following set:

configure --libdir=. --prefix=. --x-includes=/usr/local/games/include/X11 \
--x-libraries=/usr/local/lib/X11 --disable-echo --enable-debug --bindir=. \
--enable-warnings --with-screen=slang --enable-addrlist-page \
--enable-kbd-layout --enable-source-cache --enable-change-exec \
--enable-cgi-links --enable-exec-links --enable-exec-scripts --enable-externs \
--enable-file-upload --enable-libjs --enable-read-eta  --enable-gzip-help

with CPPFLAGS environment variable set to "-I /usr/local/games/include/slang"
and no NLS setting.

The script fails with error message "expected a pathname" and produces
config.cache of zero length and no makefile.

It seems that there are unbalanced if..else..fi statements between lines
2473 and 3265 in the script that cause my shell to misinterpret the "else"
target of a conditional operator. I thought this was a bug of HP-UX shell,
but changing the first line from

#!/bin/sh
#!/bin/ksh

did not help.

So I tried to analyze the script in that range and I seem to find a
misplaced "fi" that causes the failure. I have no idea what is the right
location for this "fi", so I tried the following patch:

% diff -c configure.backup configure
*** configure.backup    Mon Aug 23 15:32:26 1999
--- configure   Tue Aug 24 11:32:20 1999
***************
*** 3212,3218 ****
        LIBS=`echo $LIBS | sed -e 's/-lintl//'`
          nls_cv_header_intl=intl/libintl.h
          nls_cv_header_libgt=intl/libgettext.h
-       fi

              if test "$XGETTEXT" != ":"; then
                        if $XGETTEXT --omit-header /dev/null 2> /dev/null;
then
--- 3212,3217 ----
***************
*** 3403,3408 ****
--- 3402,3408 ----

  eval NLS_DATADIR="$withval"

+         fi # test "$USE_NLS" = "yes"

  INTLDIR_CPPFLAGS="#"
  INTLDIR_MAKE=

and that was it.

I also did a bit of homework and tested this patch on my RedHat 5.1 at
home with another set of options (but also without NLS). The scripts never
failed, but the resulting files seem to be more clean with my patch:

       diff of ./config.cache in linux/backup and linux/new:

153,154d152
< nls_cv_header_intl=${nls_cv_header_intl='intl/libintl.h'}
< nls_cv_header_libgt=${nls_cv_header_libgt='intl/libgettext.h'}

       diff of ./config.status in linux/backup and linux/new

91,92c91,92
< address@hidden@%share%g
< address@hidden@% de.gmo es.gmo fr.gmo it.gmo ko.gmo nl.gmo no.gmo pl.gmo
pt.gmo sl.gmo sv.gmo%g
---
> address@hidden@%%g
> address@hidden@%%g
97c97
< address@hidden@% de.po es.po fr.po it.po ko.po nl.po no.po pl.po pt.po sl.po
sv.po
%g
---
> address@hidden@%%g
> address@hidden@%%g
97c97
< address@hidden@% de.po es.po fr.po it.po ko.po nl.po no.po pl.po pt.po sl.po
sv.po
%g
---
> address@hidden@%%g
99c99
< address@hidden@%#include <locale.h>%g
---
> address@hidden@%%g
101,102c101,102
< address@hidden@%#YES#%g
< address@hidden@%./mkdirs.sh%g
---
> address@hidden@%%g
> address@hidden@%%g
104c104
< address@hidden@%/root/share%g
---
> address@hidden@%%g

For those who are interested, I put my linux and hpux breakout at
ftp://ftp.netvision.net.il/home/y/yburk/ along with gzipped tar file
config.tar.gz. Attached to this mail is an HTML page that I prepared in a
hurry for easy access to every file at the site. Feel free to replace my
patch with anything more suitable, or to blame me for a wrong set of
options.

JFTR, Netvision's cron task erases all files from ftp.netvision.net.il
that are older than 2-3 days. If you need the files beyond this term,
please let me know.
 --
Regards,                                                |       /^^^\
        Yury                                            |     (| , , |)

Directory breakout

hpuxlinux
backupnewbackup new
config.cache config.cache config.cache config.cache
config.log config.log config.log config.log
config.opts config.opts config.opts config.opts
configure.backup configure.new configure.backup configure.new
console console console console
  --- makefile makefile makefile
Legend:
Every set of files was obtained by issueing command "config.opts > console"

hpux	- run on HP-UX 10.20
linux	- run on RedHat 5.1
backup	- results from unchanged file configure.backup
new     - results from patched file configure.new
console - catched stdout and stderr output from the command.