Re: lynx-dev chartrans to CJK-like display (was: stopping when viewing a

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev chartrans to CJK-like display (was: stopping when viewing a site)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:11:47 +0900 (JST)

> Interestingly enough metamail didn't make it easy for me to quote you :)
> > [Charset unknown-8bit unsupported, skipping...]
                                       ^^^^^^^^
Don't understand why "not" easy.  If your side had not skipped and done
either some translation or deletion, then you couldn't quote.

> > " ?? ", or £ to a multibyte pound symbol " ?? ".  (What these look

Still intact (space-cent_sign-space, space-pound_currency_sign-space).

> Um, actually they have a couple of > spaces around them too.

I added the spaces.  It's an old habit from the days when you had to
"protect" 8-bit mixed in 7-bit, and visa versa.  Used to get the whole
rest of a document, or at least until the end of the line, out of
kilter.  It seems for the last few years that is no longer necessary.

> some clue what it hasn't translated already?  If this could work it would
> save the trouble of trying to hotwire lynx to make the determination either.

Donno.  Now I wonder why the chrtrans tables even need to be in Lynx.
Aren't the appropriate tables on everyone's PC to begin with?  Couldn't
Lynx just tell the PC which table to use rather than carry the tables
around itself?  Everything done like CJK -- now that's turning the tables,
or is that twisting the tables :)

__Henry