lynx-dev cernrules application (was Re: User Agent)

From: Yury Burkatovsky
Subject: lynx-dev cernrules application (was Re: User Agent)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:20:43 +0300 (IDT)

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> THe cernrules mechanism is _not_ the right place for a _general_ "mechanism
> to associate specified url's/domains with some prefered settings".  At least
> as far a I can see.  It is for "protocol-level stuff".

Can I construct a set of cernrules that chooses a correct proxy according
to the current URL?

We have here a variety of firewalls that demand different proxies to go
over them. Netscape has a file proxyconf with javascript (?) function
FindProxyForURL(url, host), so the same instance of Netscape can be used
to access any site.

To get the same sites with lynx, I am forced to open different windows for
every type of firewalls, and set the environment variable http_proxy
accordingly. This is not a real trouble, but it would be nice if something
similar to FindProxyForURL(url, host) could be applied to lynx.
 --
Regards,                                                |       /^^^\
        Yury                                            |     (| , , |)