lynx-dev Translation patches

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Translation patches
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:24:24 -0400

Starting to work on integrating the Translation Project (TP) message
files. I've created a patch that does several things:

* truncate French translation file for Lynx standard distribution
* created placeholder po files for Russian and Brazilian Portuguese
* updated po/readme and po/makefile.inn
* removed some stubs from the Italian placeholder po file

The patch has been uploaded to:

http://jim.spath.com/lynx/lynx-19990828-patch.gz

Note that truncating a 300M file creates a 300M patch :-(

Couple points to note --

I'm working towards a parallel full Lynx distribution file that contains
the latest message catalogs from the TP. Using the placeholders should
allow our distribution build process to do this on the fly. I can't
reach the TP site at the moment, so that part is on hold.

While testing the lynx.patch target, I noticed that doing so before any
changes have been made is an error:

09:57:58/jim> make lynx.patch
cd  ./.. && cd orig/lynx2-8-3 && { rm -f  config.log  config.status  lynx_cfg.h
 ;  for I in . src WWW/Library/Implementation; do ( set +e;  ( set -x; cd $I &&
rm -f *.orig *.rej makefile ); : );  done; }
+ cd .
+ rm -f *.orig *.rej makefile
+ cd src
+ rm -f *.orig *.rej makefile
+ cd WWW/Library/Implementation
+ rm -f *.orig *.rej makefile
( cd ./..; echo "%%% Created `date` by target lynx.patch. %%%";  diff -brc
orig/lynx2-8-3 lynx2-8-3 )  | grep -v '^Common'  | grep -v '^Binary files '  |
grep -v '^Only ' | tee lynx.patch | grep '^--- lynx2-8-3'
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Doing make clean didn't remove lynx2-8-3/src/chrtrans/makefile.

The existence of "pt" and "pt_BR" is a problem on my system, or perhaps
it's the content of the pt_BR stub. It core dumps on "lynx -version,"
although the executable will start up without the version flag. I have
been using the version messages to verify the NLS components. Here's
some details (I'm still testing this):

10:45:16/jim> ./lynx -version

Lynx Version 2.8.3dev.7 (26 Aug 1999)
Built on netbsd1.4 Aug 28 1999 10:44:22

O copyright prendeu pela universidade de Kansas, de CERN, e de outros
contribuinte.
Distribuído sob a licença do general público de GNU.
Veja http://lynx.browser.org / e a ajuda em linha para mais informação.

10:45:20/jim> echo $LANG
pt
10:45:26/jim> export LANG=fr
10:45:29/jim> ./lynx -version

Lynx Version 2.8.3dev.7 (26 Aug 1999)
Built on netbsd1.4 Aug 28 1999 10:44:22

Copyright s'est tenu par l'université du Kansas, du CERN, et d'autres
contribuants
Distribué sous le permis de grand public de GNU
Voyez http://lynx.browser.org / et d'aide en ligne pour plus d'information.
10:45:30/jim> export LANG=pt_BR
10:45:35/jim> ./lynx -version

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

10:45:36/jim> gdb lynx lynx.core
GNU gdb 4.17
This GDB was configured as "i386--netbsd"...
Core was generated by `lynx'.
Reading symbols from /usr/libexec/ld.so...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc.so.12.40...done.
#0  0x401a042a in memchr ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x401a042a in memchr ()
#1  0x2 in ?? ()
#2  0x4018d3c2 in printf ()
#3  0x26b42 in version_fun (next_arg=0x0) at ./LYMain.c:2841
#4  0x28a93 in parse_arg (argv=0xefbfd6d0, i=0xefbfd68c) at ./LYMain.c:3706
#5  0x24947 in main (argc=2, argv=0xefbfd6cc) at ./LYMain.c:1555

"Cheers"

Marvin the Paranoid Android.