Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev8: CPU problems connecting to a site

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev8: CPU problems connecting to a site
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 04:17:03 +0500 (SAMST)

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Frederic L . W . Meunier wrote:
>
> > Hi. Just compiled 2.8.3.dev8 now. It works fine, but connecting to a
> > certain site, I have to kill it because it start eating all the CPU.
> > Here's the site: http://uptime.hexon.cx/download.html
> >
> > Lynx was configured as follows:
> > --without-charsets --enable-warnings --disable-nls --with-screen=ncurses
> > --enable-addrlist-page --enable-color-style --enable-file-upload
> > --enable-prettysrc --enable-read-eta --enable-scrollbar
> > --enable-source-cache
> > --enable-externs --enable-font-switch --enable-cgi-links
> > --enable-change-exec
> >  --enable-nsl-fork
> >
> > using ncurses 990731, gcc 2.95.1 on a RedHat Linux x86 5.1. No problems
> > connecting to the other parts of this site.
>
>  Can you try disabling justification and report results?
>  I'm able to browse this site with justification enabled (lynx doesn't hang),
> but I use dev6 with all my patches that are present in dev7 - so it could be
> integration problem in dev7.
>
>  My lynx's configuration is similar to yours (but I use egcs-1.1.2), system
> is
> RH6.0. I didn't try dev7 yet...

 Sorry for confusion -you don't use justification-enabled lynx, so part of my
 Now IMO it's due to the use of new gcc. Did you override CFLAGS when
compiling lynx?
 Can you compile lynx without optimizations and with debugging info:
CFLAGS=-g3 -O0 ./configure --your-favourite-switches
 and try that lynx again on this site?
 If it still hangs, can you attach to the lynx with gdb and make 'bt' (to see
in which function lynx is spending all time)?

> > --
> > Frederic L. W. Meunier \ address@hidden,urbi.com.br}
> > IRC: _19751127!date \ Tel: +55-21-620-7173 \ Niteroi, RJ - Brasil
> >

>  Best regards,
>   -Vlad

 Best regards,
  -Vlad