Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev8: CPU problems connecting to a site

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev8: CPU problems connecting to a site
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:22:40 +0500 (SAMST)

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Frederic L . W . Meunier wrote:

> Well, here's:

 Ok. (I'm satisfied by the fact that the bug is not in my code :).
 Now I'm confused - what's happening? Can you check the virtual size of the
lynx process - is it constantly increasing (if yes - then it's an endless loop
in the lynx that allocates memory on each iteration), if no - then this is IMO
bug in malloc - it iterates on the allocated chunks when searching for free
ones. Is anybody with libc5 here (as in RH5.1 or Slackwares) (could you try to
test this site with lynx configured that way)?

 Klaus, what do you think? It's your code (or you know it good) ..

 Why are invokations of UCGetLYhndl_byMIME (value=0x8146dbf "windows-1252")
nested in each other? Why the nesting is not very deep?

> I need to post the rest? It's too long. After I connected to the site,
> when the CPU load started, I typed at pid and after bt. Lynx (or my
> rxvt) just freezed, but I think it's normal.

 The following may help:
attach to the process, make bt, 'detach', wait for some time (~30 secs), and
then attach and make bt. Do the traces differ? If not, then seems that this is
a bug in malloc.

 Waiting for other opinions...

 Best regards,
  -Vlad