Re: lynx-dev including/excluding charsets (was: CPU problems connecting

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev including/excluding charsets (was: CPU problems connecting to a site)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:22:19 +0900 (JST)

> lot of folks using this feature may get that wrong.  I *think* without
> at least iso-8859-1, us-ascii, utf-8 (maybe also x-transparent) listed
> there will be some "interesting" failure modes (not lynx crashing or
> hanging, but lynx rendering entities etc. in weird ways).
>
> Maybe there should be a --with-charsets=minimal, where minmal is
> equivalent to a list of charsets (yet to be determined exactly) that
> are required for minimal "reasonable" behavior.

Even _I_ keep iso-8859-1, 7-bit approximations and utf-8.  Rather than
make a "minimal", it might be enough to just relax "--with-charsets" and
"--without-charsets" with empty lists to mean these three.   I don't think
it would be any problem to make it impossible to configure less than these
three with an autoconf option.

__Henry