Re: lynx-dev lynx HEAD requests

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx HEAD requests
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:24:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Mark Jeftovic wrote:

> Hi, I'm debugging a piece of php3 code that's misbehaving on occasional
> HEAD requests to a given URL.
>
> I noticed that doing a "lynx -head" to the same troublesome URL works fine
> (as does telnetting to port 80 and doing it by hand).
>
> I wanted to read the lynx source that's doing the head request but as I've
> never looked at it before I don't seem to know my way around too well.
>
> Looking in LYMain.c I see:
>
> if (HEAD_request && LYCanDoHEAD(startfile) != TRUE) { ... }
>
> which seem to be booleans, and in LYMainLoop.c I start to get lost between
> all the WWWDoc.isHEAD's and the newdoc.isHEAD's.
>
> I can't seem to find the actual function that sends the HEAD request
> and then retrieves the results.

It seems you want to start with WWW/Library/Implementation/HTTP.c.

I don't understand though why you look at the lynx code in order to
debug a server-side problem?   All you should need to know is what
exact bytes lynx is sending in the request; you can see the request
in the trace log created with lynx -trace.

   Klaus