Re: lynx-dev problem with saving pages in lynx

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problem with saving pages in lynx
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 04:38:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> 990905 Klaus Weide wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Sep 1999 address@hidden wrote:
> >> A friend of mine since a few days he have a problem with saving pages.
> >> When he want to save a document and press the p or d he get an error:
> >>  allert
> >>  unable access to document..
> >> Before he could safe this pages.
> >> The menu of save to local file etc doesn't come on the screen.
> > That sounds like a problem with generating temporary files.
>
> using 2-8-2dev.19 on IRIX 5.3 with csh ,
                                ^^^^^^^^ see below
> if i move my (normal)  ~/tmp  to  ~/tmp1  & enter  p  to test things,
> the response is "Unable to open print options file",
> which is not what the user says his friend encountered.
> "Unable to access document" typically means the site if busy or down,

But he said explicitly that the menu doesn't appear,  i chose to believe
that piece of info more reliable than the second-hand "allert" message.

Here's what I get for various commands in that situation, with
2.8.3dev.something:

   'p'   Alert!: Unable to open print options file
   'd'   Alert!: Can't open output file!  Cancelling!
   ^H    Alert!: Can't open temporary file!
   'V'   Alert!: Can't open temporary file!
   'L'   Can't open temporary file!

> > It would help to know what version & operating system he is using,
> > & what changed between then (when it worked) and now.
>
> yes, if there's still a problem, tell us all that & especially the URL.

Seems they have solved it.

> also further for lynx-dev generally,  userdefs.h  says:
>
>  * The definition here can be overridden at run time by setting a
>  * "LYNX_TEMP_SPACE" environment symbol.
>
> this does not work here (system details above):
>  set LYNX_TEMP_SPACE="~/temp"  has not effect ( ~/temp  does not exist):
> Lynx continues to use the value in  userdefs.h .

It works for me if I use the right syntax for my shell.
For csh or tcsh use `setenv' not `set'.

> also, shouldn't Lynx give an explicit error message
> when it can't find a directory for temporary files,
> rather than the less helpful message above?
> eg "Error: cannot find directory or space for temporary file".

See the messages above, I find them pretty explicit,
although you could improve one or the other.

Lynx doesn't know _why_ creation of a file failed (It could be a wrong
specification, no write permissions in the directory, a partition
mounted readonly or not at all, maybe even an unavailable NFS server).
So you can't put too much in the message.  For example "You have to
set TMPDIR right" would sometimes be wrong.  "Cannot find", as you
suggest, is nearly like that.

   Klaus