Re: lynx-dev funky funky funky

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev funky funky funky
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 05:16:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, David Hutson wrote:

> First, I'd like to say that I'm not lazy, and I did look around for an answer
> and had no luck.

Then you didn't look in the right place.  This has come up several times
last month, you'll find the relevant messages in the lynx-dev archive
at <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/> (look at subjects with that
error message for a start).

Or check the FAQ pages for the linux distribution you are using.  At least
my guess is that you are using Linux and Mandrake, although you didn't
say either.  (No, Lynx is not just for Linux.)

> If you were me and fired up a terminal to run lynx you would see this:
>
> address@hidden clerkee]$ lynx
> metamail: Can't open temporary file!
> address@hidden clerkee]$
>
> I'm not familiar with the relationship between metamail & lynx, and I am out
> of
> ideas as to what I need to do.  Any help would be appreciated beyond words...

If my guess about Mandrake is right, get the updated package from them,
they seem to have backed out the change.  That is if you don't mind that
they now have completely disabled "telnet:" URLs.

Otherwise set TMPDIR or LYNX_TEMP_SPACE or create the directory your copy
of lynx wants.  If that's too cryptic look it up in the previous messages,
sorry I get tired of repeating everything...

The relationship to metamail is only that Lynx is using some pieces of
code internally that originally came from metamail.  Those pieces are for
reading mailcap files (possibly also mime.types), which lynx does on
startup.  Some of the error messages (well at least this one) never got
changed from mentioning metamail, so it's a bit misleading.

As also mentioned in another message, whether a missing or unusable
temporary file space is fatal or not depends on the contents of the
mailcap files (more specifically the test= statements).

   Klaus