Re: lynx-dev hyphenation (was tech. question: translating strings)

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev hyphenation (was tech. question: translating strings)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 18:33:27 +0500 (SAMST)

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > > Hypenation by lynx isn't exactly a feature that many people are
> > > missing.  That's my impression so far, based on interest expressed on
> > > the list in response to your ideas (iirc, basically none or negative.)
> > > I certainly don't miss it.
> > >
> >    Yes, there were no response from others.
>
> Although I find the exchanges about hyphenation to be interesting
> reading, I have to come back to the basic question. Why does anyone
> want hyphenation in a text browser? It adds nothing to the information
> received and makes reading more difficult. I understand that it might
> be helpful to fit words into tables, if tables were ever implemented
> in lynx, but isn't this something that we should worry about according
> to the tables implementation?

 IMO lynx with justification and hyphenation enabled looks very nice - as
'man' does. IMO hyphenation+justification+backspaces makes lynx extraordinary
html->txt conversion tool. At least I haven't heard about analogs to this, and
I proud to make lynx first in this area.

> It seems that Vlad wants hyphenation enough to spend time writing code
> and defending his position. I just don't understand why.

  I'll find a time to defend my position anyway - probably'l do it at night.
  Having my position defended ("the support for unicode can be implemeneted
later"), I'll have less code to hack with - since everything else (hyphenation
of plain english text ) is implemented. So, the 'time defending' to
'time writing additional code if defense fails' ratio is less than one IMO for
me.

>                                Doug
> __
> Doug Kaufman