lynx-dev Re: Additional README File for pre-compiled Lynx (W95) (fwd)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Additional README File for pre-compiled Lynx (W95) (fwd)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:43:17 -0400

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 06:00:39PM -0700, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> Scythe X tried to send this to lynx-dev, but got the address wrong. I
> am glad that someone who just started using lynx was willing to try to
> put this together. I think it would need some polishing before being
> distributed with any binaries for Win32. Of course, the shortcut needs
> to be to lynx.bat, rather than to lynx.exe, and a recommendation about
> changing the default shortcut properties to increase the environment
> space would probably be indicated. Is anyone beside Wayne distributing
> a sample lynx.bat file with the binary? How much basic operating
> system knowledge (e.g. how to use an editor) should we assume for
> such a document? Is there any reason to try to make platform-specific
> readme files uniform across different distributions, at least to some
> extent?

> Scythe:
> Here is a README file that I made. It basically clears up the things that I
> had troubles with when starting Lynx. I had never used Lynx before then, so
> hopefully it will better help other first time users. Here goes...
>
> [start]
> Win 95 Lynx Instructions (pre-compiled format):
>
> Follow these *5* simple instructions to get Lynx to work in Windows 95:
>
> *First, make certain that your "lynx_w32" folder is in your "C:" drive,
> and not within another directory. (C:\lynx_w32\)
>
> *Second, open Notepad. Notepad is a text program in Windows 95. If
> you do not know where it is, use the "Find File" option from the Start
> menu. If you are still unable to find it, use another word processor
> instead (but chances are that_you_do_have_Notepad).
>
> *Third, select "Open..." from the File menu. The "Open" window will
> appear. In this window there is a pop up menu entitled: "Files of type:".
> >From that pop up menu, change "Text Documents" to "All Files (*.*)".
>
> *Fourth, in the "Open" window, navigate to your "lynx_w32" folder
> (remember, it should be in your C: drive!). Now got to into the
> "samples" folder, which is within the "lynx_w32" folder. Open the file
> "Lynx.bat" (it is in the "samples" folder; C:\lynx_w32\samples\Lynx.bat).
> The following text should appear:
>
> @ECHO OFF
> set term=vt100
> set home=d:\win32
> set temp=d:\tmp
> set lynx_cfg=d:\win32\lynx.cfg
> d:\win32\lynx.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
>
> Now, I am not sure what the drive letter of your hard drive is. It is
> probably "C:". But, for all I know, it might be "X:". If you do not
> know otherwise, it is probably "C:". So change the "d:" to "c:". Like
> this:
>
> @ECHO OFF
> set term=vt100
> set home=c:\win32
> set temp=c:\tmp
> set lynx_cfg=c:\win32\lynx.cfg
> c:\win32\lynx.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
>
> (If your hard drive letter was "X:", you would change "d:" to "x:".) Once
> [...]

Yes, I'm trying to create updated Win32 distributions (I made one for
dev7). Polishing this readme will help, but I suspect the questions will
continue to arise as Win32 users who don't know the difference between
compiled and source versions pop up.

Assume very little.

The INSTALLATION document should include this data. Win32 users may
need more focussed help, as INSTALL tends to be heavy into UNIX compile
configure options.

I've pondered buying a Win32 install packager (i.e., InstallShield) that
might help novices steer through these issues easier.

Marvin the Paranoid Android.