Re: lynx-dev RFC959 non-compliance in Lynx hangs the client

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev RFC959 non-compliance in Lynx hangs the client
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 04:50:21 -0400 (EDT)

990907 Gregory Lundberg wrote:
> The WU-FTPD Development Group is in beta test for version 2.6.0
> of the WU-FTPD daemon.  we're enforcing
> a clean shutdown of the data connection prior to sending
> the 2xx Transfer Complete message on the FTP control channel.
> When a Lynx user attempts to connect to a version 2.6.0 WU-FTPD server,
> the client hangs obtaining the initial directory listing.
> This may be observed on our primary distribution site, ftp.wu-ftpd.org

yes, this happens with 2-8-2dev.19 on IRIX 5.3 ,
but  z  terminates the hang & displays the following screen:

                                    Welcome

Welcome to the FTP server for the WU-FTPD Development Group

This server is the primary distribution site for the WU-FTPD daemon.

The pub directory contains the distribution and supporting files.

If you are uploading contributions, please place them in the incoming
directory and email address@hidden announcing your upload.

Jul 19 12:19  Directory        [1]bin
Jan 12  1999  Directory        [2]dev
May 25  1999  Directory        [3]etc
Sep  3 22:10  Directory        [4]incoming
Aug 26 16:50  Directory        [5]private
Jul  9 07:43  Directory        [6]pub

[PW resumes] which appears to be a complete FTP directory,
so it's a glitch a/a a disaster.

> At this point, I have not debugged a Lynx FTP session.
> If you would like my analysis of where Lynx is failing, please let me know.

i'm sure you'll get a reply from a more technically knowledgeable volunteer,
but please do let us have any further results you obtain,
incl the version of Lynx you are using & what system you're using it on.
the latest Lynx is 2-8-2 from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/ ;
the latest development version is at  sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/ .