Re: expires (was: lynx-dev cache control)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: expires (was: lynx-dev cache control)
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 14:03:01 -0400

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 10:41:46AM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > "Guilty."  The now-old book I have on HTTP recommends putting expire
> > times in META tags.  Where should they go?
> ITYM book on HTML?  I cannot image a book _on HTTP_ would recommend
> that.

Yes, that's what I mean.  It does have a chapter on HTTP :-)

> How to specify header fields for real HTTP headers is a matter of
> configuring the server.  In Apache you can do a lot in .htaccess files
> (more so in later versions), if properly enabled.  Web space providers
> that don't allow customers to set any HTTP headers aren't really doing
> their job.  In CGI scripts you can set most header fields directly of
> course.
> Unfortunately putting this stuff in META doesn't "result" in this header
> to be sent by the server _as_ an HTTP header, for any known servers.

You're right. The server I use a lot (wn) reads HTML pages and caches
this data so that HEAD requests will show what the specs intend. Other
servers don't do it this way:

bash-2.01$ grep -i expir index.html

bash-2.01$ lynx -dump -head http://blender/~jim/index.html
HTTP/1.1 200 OK